Your web-browser is very outdated, and as such, this website may not display properly. Please consider upgrading to a modern, faster and more secure browser. Click here to do so.
I’ve said it many times before: unlike her own claims, Lady Gaga does lip-sync a lot. And when she doesn’t completely lip-sync, she sings over (in fact, under) several layers of pre-recorded vocals.
You don’t have to be a music expert or to be in the music industry to be able to perceive Lady Gaga’s clear lip-syncing moments. They have always been there.
Last night, on the second show of the Born This Way Ball, performed at the Asia World Arena in Hong Kong, it became even more evident: apparently, Lady Gaga’s microphone had a problem, so we could not hear what was coming out of her mouth. Did it hurt the songs and the show? Did it hurt the music spectacle? No.
Most of the people in the arena didn’t even notice Lady Gaga had a problem with her microphone. Why not? Because we still could hear the music being sung through the pre-recorded vocals she always plays during her songs.
We can all clearly see Lady Gaga lip-syncing to her pre-recorded vocals on her show. Her fans are already creating excuses, saying “she does sing live over the backtrack”. Yes, she does. We all know it. And that’s the problem: if one needs the support of backtrack, pre-recorded vocals under almost every song in the show, they shouldn’t be praising themselves for “doing it live”. If it’s not 100% live, don’t praise yourself for doing half the job.
In fact, it is clear that Lady Gaga does less than half the job in “singing live”. You can see in the opening number of her show that about 80% of all the lines in the songs are still there (and they all came from pre-recorded vocals). So what’s left? The other 20% she sings live?
Lady Gaga is not the only popstar who lipsyncs sometimes and only sings part of her songs, or a few songs live. Britney Spears lipsyncs her entire shows. Everyone uses of technology to cover up something in their show. Madonna, Prince, Mariah Carey, they all use vocal help too. I don’t have a problem with everyone, because some of them are honest about it. But I do have a problem with people who lie about it and misguide the audience, people like Lady Gaga, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson and even Mariah Carey (whose voice used to be powerful).
Lady Gaga has said many times she never lip-synced, and that she “never will”. The problem is: she always has lip-synced, and she did it again last night. And not only during the opening of the show.
So it’s time the media said something about her hypocrite behavior. The entire mainstream media has joked about the fact that Britney Spears lip-syncs. So why won’t they say anything about Lady Gaga - a popstar that says she doesn’t, but goes on stage and lip-syncs during almost every song. In all honestly: singing “live” under layers of pre-recorded vocals should not be considered “live” after all. Especially when the pre-recorded vocals are louder than the “live” vocals - like it is with Lady Gaga.
Madonna, just like Britney Spears, is often accused of lip-syncing. But in reality, in her shows, very few tracks are lip-synced. 95% of her shows are live and only 5% lip-synced or performed with the help of pre-recorded vocals. Michael Jackson, on the other hand, lip-synced 95% of his shows and sang 5% live - but the media never had a problem with him. Check Michael Jackson’s History World Tour here (the entire show). He lipsyncs throughout the whole show! Only a handful of songs were sung live.
Same goes to his sister, Janet Jackson, who never really did anything special on her own. She surely had great hits, but she was simply doing what Madonna and her brother were doing. The difference is that Janet Jackson always lip-synced her shows. Entirely. Like Britney Spears does today. But Janet never took the heat for doing it. So how is this fair to Britney? It’s time for the media, and the people in general, to start being honest about the people we talk or write about. Start being fair.
So Lady Gaga had a problem with her microphone and it becomes evident that her shows are not exactly live. What happens when Madonna has a problem with her microphone? Well, considering that most of her shows are done completely live, it’s easy to find moments like this:
No matter what excuses Lady Gaga fans will create for last night’s vocal indiscretion and blatant lip-syncing, I would expect a moment like Madonna had - microphone failed - nobody heard her voice. For someone who vehemently says she “never have and will never lip-sync”, last night’s event proved Lady Gaga is nothing but a liar - and a bad performer.
Here are a few other clips from lady Gaga’s concert last night in Hong Kong. In them, it is clear that she was lip-syncing in other moments too, or blatantly chosing when to sing under her pre-recorded vocals:
During Born This Way, it is clear that she chooses not to sing the chorus of the song. Instead of singing, she just mimes. In other words, she blatantly lip-syncs during several moments in this one song. And no, she was not having problems with her microphone - she sings on it on and off whenever she decided to. In case it doesn’t open, here’s a link to YouTube.
Half of Bad Romance was sung over pre-recorded vocals. The other half Lady Gaga just danced and pretended she was singing. Take a look:
She has the best and easiest job on Earth!
She goes on stage, moves her arms and occasionally sings live under layers of pre-recorded vocals, then goes home richer, knowing that no one in the media will give her a hard time for not doing her shows 100% live as she promised.
During Poker Face, only the verses (which are spoken) are sung live by Lady Gaga. The first half of the chorus was sung live too, but the rest was lip-synced until the second spoken verse of the song [YouTube]:
What I don’t understand is: she’s not even really dancing here.
Her dance routines are easy, they are not demanding. So she has no excuse as “I needed to dance, so I stopped singing”. She basically just moves her arms! And she’s only 26 years old, above all. Can’t she work on her cardio? Resistance exercises?
It is sad that we live in a world that allows people like Michael Jackson and Janet Jackson to lip-sync their entire shows and never criticize them for it, but when someone like Britney does it, she needs to be humiliated for it.
It’s sad that this history is repeating itself all over again: the media allows Lady Gaga to go around pretending she is a real singer, when, in fact, she’s only doing less than half of the live singing in her shows. While Madonna goes on stage, uses pre-recorded vocals in three songs (out of 20), and is accused of miming her concerts.
In about four weeks, Madonna opens her new world tour. I bet that, if she lip-syncs one single song, the media will be all over it. Unlike they are with lady gaga, who lip-syncs most of the songs in her shows and gets a free pass.
But I guess we all know who’s got the last laugh. 30 very successful years in the music business with total global domination against all odds. Not everyone can do it.